Get the Right Marriage Certificate!

Marriage Certificates

The “certificate” presented to you at your wedding is different to the certificate that is issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. In order to eliminate hassles later on it is advisable to get an official certificate of registration of a marriage from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state.
Your celebrant should register your marriage for you, you just need to send in the application for a Marriage Certificate form or go into the registry (with proof of ID). In some instances certificates can be ordered online or by mail. In all instances a fee is payable. Contact details for each state are listed in the name change kit, and forms for each state are provided in this kit as well. You will need to get some certified copies of your marriage certificate to send out to organisations that you want to change your name with.


If you intend to go into your Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in person to collect your certificate, you should give them a call first to make sure your marriage registration has been processed. Some Registries take their time, and it can take up to six weeks from your celebrant registering your marriage to your official marriage certificate being ready for collection.

Name Change Certificates

A Name Change Certificate is a different certificate again. If you are changing to your husband’s name, you don’t need one of these. And if you are hyphenating etc you don’t need a Marriage Certificate. Confused? The process confuses me sometimes and I’ve been helping brides change their name for the past 7 years!

I suggest grabbing yourself a name change kit to help make your name change a lot simpler. My name change kit comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so if it doesn’t help you, you’ve lost nothing!