The first step for most new brides when changing their name is Facebook and email! There are no ugly forms to fill out and sign, it’s generally pretty quick and easy. Here is your step by step guide to changing your name on Facebook.
1. Once you’re logged in, click on the pinwheel on the top right hand side of any facebook page.
2. Select ‘Account Settings’ (towards the bottom).
3. Next to your name, select ‘edit’.
4. Change your name and save!
Facebook policy is that you have to use your real name, and they also say that to make sure people are using their real name they limit how many times you can change your name (but I haven’t found anywhere where Facebook will tell you what this limit is).
Your name can’t include your title – so no, unfortunately you can’t add Mrs to your name on Facebook. You also can’t use symbols, numbers, punctuation, phrases or anything offensive in your name. And you’re only allowed to use a nickname if it’s a variation or shortened version of your name. For example, if your name is Emmalina and your friends call you “Lucky”, you can use Emma as a nickname (it’s a shortened version of Emmalina) but you can’t use “Lucky”. That’s not a very good example, but hopefully you get my point.
You can still list your maiden name on your account by listing an alternate name. You can do this by going through the normal process outlined above, and setting an alternate name in the provided box.
A study in the middle of last year discovered that half of brides had changed their relationship status on Facebook to married before the wedding reception had even begun! So, if you’re in the half who haven’t done it already, this is how you do it:
1. Go to your profile page.
2. Click on ‘Update Info” (under your timeline photo, next to your name)
3. Down the bottom left in the box called “Relationships and Family” hit the edit button.
4. Change your status and save!